North Woods School Announcements
Friday- February 17th, 2017
- Next week is Snow Week – February 21st – 24th! Dress up/Activity Days are as follows:
Tuesday: Harry Potter Day – dress as your favorite character!
Wednesday: Bedtime Stories/PJ Day
Thursday: Class Chooses Movies – dress based on movie
Friday: School Spirit Day – wear Grizzly Gear / Dance (following game to 11:30 pm)
– Great Gatsby Theme
- Juniors and seniors are invited to attend a Career Fair at Itasca Community College on Friday, March 3rd. We will leave the school at 8:30 am and we will be back by 2:30 pm. See Mrs. Stark today to register.
- The following students still owe Mrs. Stark January work hours: Colton Arvila, Brooklyn Isham, and Michael Mejdrich.
- Found: Valuable items found on an activity bus and in the Commons. See office staff to identify/claim.
- Today’s lunch is Soft Shell Tacos.
- Important Yearbook Announcement: From now until February 24th is your last chance to guarantee that you will get a yearbook this year! Don't miss out! Last year the extra copies sold out before many people got one! Don't miss out! See Mrs. Olson for an order form.
- Seniors: The local North Woods scholarship list was handed out. If you did not receive the list, see Mrs. Stark. Also, a new scholarship has been added to the local list. The Cook Timber Days Community Service Scholarship is available to those who have some type of service in the community. See Mrs. Stark for the application.
- 9-12 Grade Students: Wednesday, February 22nd will be the first annual “Ride Your Snowmobile to School” Day. You must have a valid snowmobile safety certificate and also pick up a permission slip in the office and have it signed by a parent in order to participate. Please return slips to Mr. Vukmanich.
- Seniors planning to attend Mesabi Range Community and Technical College next fall can pick up scholarship information in the Counseling Office. This scholarship application is due May 1st.
- New National Honor Society Members: Please pay your dues to Kristen Lilya or Mrs. Stark ASAP!
- See the windows outside of the Counseling Office for more information on the following opportunities:
* Summer Job Opportunity: Life of Riley Resort is looking to hire three cabin/restaurant positions, three dock/resort positions, and one naturalist position. These positions are full time, live-in with lodging and meals provided. Employees also receive time off and a competitive salary.
* Students in Grades 9-12: Minnesota Business Venture is a one-week summer residential opportunity for students to learn about business, financial literacy, entrepreneurship and career direction. It is at St. Cloud State University (July 9-14) or St. John's University (July 23-28). The cost is $150, which includes room and board, if you register by April 21. Some financial aid is available.
* Scrubs, Gloves & Microscopes is for students in grades 9-12 interested in the medical or health sciences. This program offers half day sessions at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus to give students an opportunity to experience life in a health profession or program. These sessions are held throughout the school year. For more information, Google search "Scrubs, Gloves, & Microscopes," or see the website listed on the poster outside of the Counseling Office.
* SCRUBS Camps are for middle and high school students to explore careers in the health sciences. They are offered throughout the summer at multiple college locations. For more information, go to: www.healthforceminnesota.org/scrubs-camp
- To anyone wanting to travel to London and Paris this summer with the Travel Club, please note the last day to register is February 24th. See Ms. Carstens’ for information.
- Drivers Training is scheduled at North Woods July 17th – 28th. Registration/info packages are in the wooden rack outside the library. If these dates don’t work for you, other sessions are scheduled in the area. See info/fliers for dates and locations.
- Anyone interested in running for Timber Days Royalty, or organizations/classes interested in sponsoring a bounce house at Timber Days this June, should contact Diane Brunner.
- Reminder to Students: Please make sure to check your email daily for messages from the office. We do not want to interrupt classes to notify you of items to pick up, bus passes, etc.
- Job Opportunities: See the Counselor’s window for the latest opportunities and the announcements monitor in the Commons.
- BBB – Mesabi East: TODAY, Away (Gr.7@5:30 pm; Gr. 8@6:30 pm)eh
- 8th/9th Gr BBB Virginia Tourney: Saturday, February 18th, Virginia, 9:30 am & 10:45 am
- Archery Tournament: Saturday, February 18th, North Woods School
- Holiday – No School: Monday, February 20th
- Snow Week: Tuesday, February 21st – Friday, February 24th